Thursday, October 8, 2009

Mini Review: And Another Thing... by Eoin Colfer (Spotlighted)

The venerable tome, The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, is set to once again be at the forefront of trillions of minds across the galaxy! Somehow, not even the ministrations of a well-meaning Vogon could ensure its eradication…! :-)


I was lucky enough to have received a limited edition proof of And Another Thing, the final book in The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy series, written by Eoin Colfer. :-) And yes, it wasn’t the whole book (that would have been one huge newspaper!)

I have to admit, I was a bit scared, and gave it a day or two after it had arrived (in an envelope bearing very a descriptive warning from a bored Vogon) so that the excitement of receiving it could die down a bit before I started reading it – when I finally did sit down to take it in, though, something strange happened…

This is not, by any stretch, Douglas Adams’ writing. Is that a bad thing? Or even a good thing? Well, it depends on what you’re expecting from And Another Thing.

If you’re expecting the Hitchhiker’s books you know and love, that same absolutely crazy but oddly brilliant prose, then you may just be disappointed – Douglas Adams is no longer with us, folks. Nothing anyone writes will ever approach his genius.

But is And Another Thing good? Is it a Hitchhiker’s book? Is it zany, hilarious, crazy and absolute fun? Definitely! :-)

Eoin did an amazing job, having such legendary boots to fill. Not only did he capture (in my opinion) what the Hitchhiker’s Guide books represent and meant to the generations that read them (and all those who continue to discover the books today), but he did it with respect and admiration for the work – that comes through loud and clear while reading. This isn’t a rip-off or a regurgitation or a parody – this is Hitchhiking. The only difference is that our Ford Prefect isn’t Douglas Adams. But you will still laugh, and shake your head in stupefied amazement – you know, that feeling you got when you first read about the Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster and thought, “This is nuts!” but it made an odd kind of sense? :-) Don’t worry, folks. I’m pretty sure you’ll enjoy this book, and I’m pretty sure I’ll enjoy it in it’s entirety when it’s on the shelves. I’ll be placing my copy next to my Hitchhiking box set. :-)

And then I’ll just thank Douglas Adams for being such a brilliant nutter all over again! :-)

To pre-order your copy, click here (UK) and for those in SA, please use the link at the top of the blog.


No comments: